Monday, May 30, 2011
I kinda forgot that I offered a pair of my handmade earrings to the first 5 followers of my blog. Since there are 9 of you faithful followers, I will send all of you a pair of my earrings. Please contact me with your mailing address, and any earring preferences, colors, size or style, and I will do my best to make you happy. Please email me at ebayfranstuff AT gmail DOT com with the subject of "earrings" Thanks!
Sunday, May 29, 2011
Ok, so I haven't blogged for awhile. I haven't done much lately, except work and sleep. BUT today I did some mending! Altering, actually. I know that doesn't sound REAL exciting, but what I accomplished makes me feel really good. My niece is spending the weekend, and I had saved a few pairs of pants for her I had found. I knew they would be too long, but wasn't sure about the rest of the fit. So she tried them all on, and told me what she liked and didn't like about the fit.
There were 5 pair of pants needing alterations. The first was easy, she just didn't like the pockets to be as deep as they were, so I turned them inside out cut off about 1/2 of the pocket, and sewed it closed. Easy peasy.
The 2nd pair were carpenter pants that were too baggy, but the length was ok. This pair was the most complicated. It helps that my sewing machine, a 1989 Viking 150, will sew through ANYTHING without skipping a beat, jamming or anything else. I have loved this machine since I got it new, 22 years ago. If I was being perfect, I would have removed the waistband, taken the pants in, then shortened and replaced the waistband. I also would have never gotten in done. Instead, I just sewed straight through the waistband, down the side seams, bringing it in so they would fit tight accross her thighs, and then sloping back out so the pants were flared. I also did the same thing to the inseam, starting at the hem of one leg, again creating a flare and then tightening up more drastically from the knee to the crotch, where I tapered out to the edge of the seam again, and then continued down the inseam of the other leg. This was totally unscientific, and I didn't measure or follow any instructions. I did end up taking in the side seams twice, because the first time I didn't take them in enough. Basically I did the side seams, had her try them on, then did the inseam and took more out of the side seams, and she was a happy camper. It may not be a conventional way to alter pants, but hey, the pants were free, so it was worth a try. I had nothing to lose, and some experience to gain. It worked and she is happy.
Number 3 were just too long, so I hemmed them. Not rocket science, just a basic fold over twice and stitch hem. She wanted red thread, so I made 2 rows of stitching so it would show up more.
Number 4 was a pair of capris that were just way too big. So, I did the same thing as with number 2, only more drasticcally. She was so happy she almost squealed, which I guess 11 year olds don't do.
Number 5 again required a hem. I decided to try the technique I have seen tutorials for, where you remover the very bottom of the hem from a pair of jeans, make them the right length, and then sew the bottom of them They turned out really well. Not perfect, but pretty darned good for the first try. I should have taken before and after pictures. Hopefully I can get her to model again and at l will try and at least get some after pictures.
Anyway, I am extremely happy to have gotten a wee bit of experience, and that they all turned out successfully. She's happy because she has 5 pair of pants that fit her the way she likes them to. Happienesssssss
Tuesday, May 24, 2011
I have been a bit behind lately in just about everything, including blogging. Hopefully I will rememdy that soon. I am a grandma and I need to make some goodies for that grandbaby. I have been working, and still doing some drawing. I need to scan and post some of them. I haven't really made any jewelry lately, although I have thought about it alot. I need to think less and do more!